Download Job Description
Job type: Part time
Description: Museum Educators lead interactive tours of museum exhibits and hands-on activities for school field trips, virtual tours, outreach visits to schools, adult and senior tours, scout programs, and birthday parties. Programs range in duration from 60 to 90 minutes, with multiple programs occurring on any given day. Training and professional development opportunities are provided. Additional responsibilities include set-up, clean-up, and preparation of education materials. Hours vary depending on the needs of the groups scheduled and availability. Museum educators primarily work on weekdays. Scheduling can accommodate other work or responsibilities. The BMI follows CDC and state/city guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
The ideal candidate possesses the following skills and capabilities:
• Experience working with children or in a customer support role is required, informal experience is welcome i.e. babysitting, family care, volunteer work, etc.
• Experience with other group tours and a background in History are preferred
• Ability to communicate effectively with students and adults of varied ages and backgrounds
• Comfort with public speaking
• Willingness to learn and effectively deliver multiple programs
• Ability to manage groups and schedules
• Willingness to take direction and work in cooperation with other museum educators and staff
• Bilingual in English and Spanish or American Sign Language a plus
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift heavy objects
No one candidate will be perfect for this job. We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion are a key to professional success. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Please just apply.
To apply: Send résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are always welcome, although hiring is done on an as-needed basis.
The Baltimore Museum of Industry provides equal opportunity to all applicants for employment. No applicant shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification.
Prior to final hiring, all candidates will have to undergo a criminal background check in accordance with Maryland law.
Adult – $12
Senior [62+] – $9
Student [w ID] – $7
Youth [7-17] – $7
Child [6 & under] – Free
BMI Members – Always Free!
Museums for All Visitors – Always Free!
BMI proudly offers free admission to active duty and retired military personnel, with military ID.
Group rates available by reservation. Contact email@example.com or 410.727.4808 x117.
The BMI is open to the public:
Wednesday 9am – 3pm
Thursday 9am – 3pm
Friday 9am – 3pm
Saturday 9am – 3pm
Sunday 10:30am – 3pm
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas (December 24-25)
In addition to cash donations, which can be pledged by check or credit card, the BMI gladly accepts gifts of stock, planned or deferred contributions, and in-kind services. To discuss giving options, please contact the Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410.727.4808 x129.
To learn more about donating artifacts to the collection, please visit our Artifact Donation page.