323201A The Regent Theatre, 1629-19 Pennsylvania Ave. at Pitcher Street, May 9, 1951. Neighborhood: Upton
Designed by Baltimore architects Sparklin and Childs, The Regent was the largest theatre on The Avenue. It was opened June 9, 1916, by Louis Hornstein and his two sons on the site of a former coal yard and billed as “The largest, coolest, best ventilated house in the city.” Though predominantly a movie theatre, The Regent also hosted live performances by such notable entertainers Ethel Waters, Lena Horne, Sidney Poitier, Cab Calloway, Eubie Blake, and Jack Johnson.
(Take photo from the west side of the street, looking south on Pennsylvania Ave.)