BGE-30525 – Lang’s Pickles, 725 North Haven Street, May 22, 1956.
C.C. Lang & Son was a pickle and kraut manufacturing company founded in 1881 that at one time rivaled Pittsburgh-based H.J. Heinz Company in size. Originally using cucumbers grown on the Lang family farm in Glen Arm, Maryland, the company eventually had suppliers and factories in Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, New York, and Michigan. Lang’s also held a patent on a machine that could slice cucumbers longitudinally for more efficient packing.
(Take photo from the west side of Haven St., looking east.)