BGE-28352A – Corner of Aliceanna and Broadway looking south, 1954.
Originally known as Fells Point Market when it was established in 1784, Broadway Market has stretched north from the harbor along Broadway since 1797. For over half a century, this public market was little more than a series of wooden sheds, but in 1864 a more permanent brick structure was constructed between Aliceanna and Fleet Streets. In addition to attracting neighborhood residents with its numerous grocery stalls, Broadway Market’s foot traffic also helped lure private businesses to the streets around it.
(Take photo from the northeast corner of Aliceanna St. and Broadway, looking south.)