BGE-36607D – Baltimore Civic Center sign, Liberty Street, June 1961.
From December 1776 to February 1777, the newly formed United States of America was governed by the Second Continental Congress from a three-story brick tavern along Market Street (now Baltimore). Though “Old Congress Hall” was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1904, the site on which it sat once again welcomed visitors from across the nation with the completion of the Baltimore Civic Center in 1962. Part of a larger mid-century effort to revive the city’s waning downtown business district, the 14,000-seat Civic Center would go on to host such notable entertainers as the Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Bruce Springsteen.
(Take photo from the middle of the block on the east side of Liberty St., looking west.)